Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tofu Tikka Masala - An Indian Classic Gone Veggie

I am an Indian born in Canada. Throughout my life, the one dish that almost everyone who liked Indian food would ask for was chicken tikka masala. This dish is often times considered an Indian classic, you see it all over the place - the orangeish/reddish boneless chicken perfectly grilled or baked. The flavours are amazing! I began to think about how a vegetarian could enjoy the same flavours with a high dose of protein. Sure you could pretty easily marinate some veggies but you definitely won't get the same protein as chicken so, I thought, let's try tofu! Let me tell you, it was amazing and I am thoroughly looking forward to the leftovers!!!

Now many people are skeptical of tofu. I think the main issue is the texture. But can the benefits outweigh the texture? Maybe? Tofu is high protein, low fat, no cholesterol and high in calcium and vitamin E. I recommend googling the benefits of tofu so that you can learn more about this very intriguing food. Also, I would like to add that there are several ways to alter the texture of tofu. I hear (but have yet to try) that freezing tofu can make the texture meatier when you cook it. Something about removing the water from the tofu through freezing. I will report on it should I ever try it.

One other issue with tofu, at least for me, is that it can be bland! A good marinade can do wonders for tofu. How better to spruce it up than with some Indian spice mixes? Below is my recipe for Tofu Tikka Masala. Hope you like it and please report back if you give it a try.

Tofu Tikka Masala

1/2 Pkg of Tandoori spice mix (any Indian grocery store will have this)
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
Juice from 1 lemon
1 tsp olive oil
1 block of extra firm tofu cut up
1 small onion chopped
1 small red pepper chopped
Plain yogurt to top off the dish

Mix the tandoori spice mix, yogurt, lemon juice and olive oil in a container. Add sliced tofu and marinate overnight. The longer you marinate, the better the flavour.



Whenever you're ready to cook the tofu, add to a grill along with the onions and peppers and grill until cooked. If you don't have a mini grill your kitchen, you can cook the tofu, onions and peppers in a pan over the stove. I just like the grilled tast on the tofu. I ate it with some mixed greens and topped with a little yogurt and black pepper. I'm sure it would be equally great with some rice or some naan bread (although that adds carbs!) Absolutely delicious and well....SPICY! So keep the plain yogurt close by! You can adjust the kick of your tofu with the amount of tandoori mix you use. (And check this out - approximately 15 grams protein; 19 grams carbs!)

No comments:

Post a Comment