Sunday, March 28, 2010

What can I do with Quinoa?

It looks like a grain, it's cooked like a grain, it tastes like a grain...but it's not a grain, it's a seed. When cooked it has a light fluffy texture like rice or couscous and can be used as a replacement in dishes that use either. It's great for a lower carb meal because of it's high protein content - 12-18%. More information on quinoa can be found here: http://www.quinoa.net/ .Today, I decided to add quinoa to a standby spicy veggie chili I have come to enjoy - delicious and nutritious. I make the full recipe and freeze individual servings so I can have convenience meals for later weeks. I would get so tired of some of my favourite recipes if I ate them everyday for a week! Ick!


Spicy Vegetarian Chili with Quinoa

This recipe isn't the lowest carb recipe so make sure to pair it with lower carb recipes through the day. We've got about 15g protein and 50g of carbs we are working with here.

Cook quinoa according to package instructions
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 medium red pepper, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp chopped chilpotles in adobo (more if you like it with an extra kick!)
1 tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
salt to taste
1 can petite diced tomatoes (low sodium is best)
15 oz drained and rinsed red beans
15 oz drained and rinsed black beans
1 cup frozen corn

Heat the oil and add the veggies, cook for a few minutes until veggies start to brown. Add chipotles, oregano, cumin, chili powder and salt. Stir. Add tomatoes and 4cups of water. Simmer for 30 minutes, until veggies are softened. Add beans and corn and simmer 20 minutes. Serve over the quinoa. Great garnishes include green onion and cheese or sour cream (if you have the room in your intake for the day). I myself like the Cabot 50% Reduced Fat Cheddar.

Not too shabby. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment